Grilling season is upon us, and we’re prepping by giving our grills a good scrub and stocking the pantry with things like dry rubs and seasoning salts. And while we always love a good homemade meat glaze, there is no shame in going out and buying a bottle of barbecue sauce when you’re strapped for time. Or maybe you’re simply feeling a little bit lazy. Don’t worry, we’re not judging. There are plenty of top-notch bottled barbecue sauces on the market these days, many of which are made without high-fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors. But making a grilling sauce from scratch doesn’t have to be a big production.
We turned to three chefs across the country to get their easy barbecue sauce recipes that don’t require a lot of time to put together. Though the ingredient lists can look a little daunting at first, it’s likely you have most of the components in your pantry already. Plus, after stocking up on the rest of the ingredients, you can make these delicious meat glazes all season long. Whip up these big batch recipes, store them in the fridge, and reach for them anytime you break out the grill.
South Texas Mustard Base BBQ Sauce
“This is a classic South Texas mustard base barbecue sauce,” Dady says. “It is the Texan staple, from brisket to ribs, turkey to cabrito. It’s a tried and true Texas barbecue sauce. I love using the Maille mustards because of their finesse and sharp flavors.” Ingredients:
- 3 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 lb fresh peaches, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup Maille dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup Maille whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup worcestershire
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coarse black pepper
- 2 tbsp Cholula hot sauce
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sweat onions, garlic, and peaches until soft.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour over low heat, being careful not to scorch.
- Puree and strain. Chill immediately and use as needed.